Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Air is Thin Up Here


I didn't realize how high we were. Zhongdian sits at 10,500ft. This picture was taken from the window of our car - not an airplane! For comparison:

Rogers Pass, BC: 4,400ft
Denver, Colorado: 5,280ft
Peak of Whistler/Blackcomb: 7,160ft
Lhasa, Tibet: 12,000ft
Everest: 29,000ft

 

We pulled over the side of the road to get a better look at this mountain peak. I wanted a more unobstructed view, so I decided to run up the side of this road embankment. Halfway up, I remembered that we're at over 10,000ft, and should probably take it easy, so I walked the rest of the way up. I probably could've used one of those oxygen cans at this point. It was a lot scarier on the way down - the ledge was only a foot wide and it would've been a nasty tumble onto the freeway had I fallen.

No comments: